Monday, August 14, 2006

Just an update....

The weekend was a little rough. I was trying to beat back this miserable flu that’s been running rampant around everyone I know. Alas my efforts were in vain. It struck me like a freight train. I hate being sick. I turn into an unreasonable prick when I have a cold. I blame fellow comic and best friend Brett Martin, vile disease carrier that he is. That’s right I said it!!! He is fully responsible for it. I know it in my heart. (And he knows it too…)

I did a couple of shows for the Laughing Arts Festival. The flu didn’t make them any easier. Suppressing a dry hacking cough is harder than it sounds. The crowds were small, and I wound up fucking around a little more than I normally do. As far as I can tell it went okay. I wish it were easier to get people out to shows than it is.

Overall though, life is pretty good these days. I’m super busy (as per usual…) I’ve got gigs coming out of my ears over the next few days. I like that. There’s nothing like being busy at the things that you like to do. Happily I don’t have to go too far on this round of touring.

The first stop is Lethbridge. Usually this gig goes very well for me. Well, except for last time. I ate it last time. I shit the bed. (So to speak…) The cards were pretty stacked against me though. It was during the playoffs and the bar was empty. It was just totally awkward. This time should be much better though.

Next up is Claresholm. I have never played there before. I have heard good things about the gig. I’m looking forward to playing there.

Then from Thursday to Saturday I play at my home club, Yuk Yuks here in Calgary. I haven’t been on stage there in quite a while. I’m exited to get it on. I’m going to try and shoot some video for a DVD I’ve been threatening to make. If it looks good, then it’s a go. If not, I’m going to try again in Saskatoon on September 1st.

Other stuff…

I have continued on with my Johnny Cash collection. I picked up a couple more CD’s. The first is “The Legend of Johnny Cash” which has a lot of his early stuff. There’s a really good version of “Cry Cry Cry” on there.

The second is the last disc he ever recorded. Called “American V: A Hundred Highways” It has some cuts that were finished just weeks before his death. It’s a little creepy in a way, but the songs are pretty strong.

I also picked up a new DVD too. It’s a strange documentary about The Clash. It’s called “Rude Boy.” There is a fictitious character that plays a roadie / fuck up that tags along with The Clash during their two UK tours in 1978 and 1979. It’s pretty good. It’s like an arty rockumentary, but it doesn’t really distract from the performances. It’s a neat little time capsule.

No comments: