Thursday, February 02, 2006

02/01/06 Just some catching up...

So far it's been an interesting week. It started with me going into work on Monday in a suit. My only suit, which can best described as your typical conservative navy blue suit. It's nothing you'd call flashy or trendy. It's about as plain as it gets. It's the kind of suit that can get you lost in a crowd during the lunch throng of your average business district. I felt uncomfortable in it. I don't like suits, mostly because I don't like other people in suits. (Specifically strangers in suits… I always get the feeling they're up to something I wouldn't like too much.)

My coworkers and I got to meet the new owners of our little research company. We all got tarted up for the affair. (Or in my case, as best as I could muster.) I think the day went well enough. The folks from Montreal seem like really good people. I suspect they will be good to work for. It was really nice to see the gang all gussied up. Usually were a bit of a scrubby bunch. (Well not really, but not usually suit and tie type folks…)

Anyway, after a day of meetings, we held a cocktail party for people in our industry. In most ways it was your fairly typical meet and greet. It was a little strange for me at first; I'm really not much of a schmoozer, (Not in that circle so much…) but I managed to get into the swing of things after a bit. (Mind you, I think I was more concerned about how badly my feet hurt. God it felt like I had smacked them with a hammer repeatedly. My dress shoes look pretty good, but comfort was apparently not a major concern for their designer. I have never been happier to stomp around in bare feet than I was when I got home.)

Our counter parts from Edmonton came down to join in our festivities. I am finally able to put faces to the people I have been working with for the better part of a year.

Once things wrapped up, I popped into the Monday night open mike at Dicken's. All of my friends independent of each other asked me if I had been to a funeral. Apparently it' s bit of an anomaly to see me dressed up. But then again, I guess it doesn't happen that often. Given a choice, I'd rather wear an old work shirt, a pair of Vans and comfy jeans.

Anyway, on to other stuff…

Last night I had a show in Lethbridge. It was my first time on the road since December. It felt good to be out there, if only for the night. I have only done three shows since I got back from Newfoundland. This was the first one where the rust seemed to have been completely shaken off. It was nice to hear boisterous laughter again.

But truthfully I really needed that time away from the stage. Between the day job, and the increasingly busy schedule of October through December, I had managed to burn myself out. The last show I did before I left for Newfoundland was emotionally one of the hardest I've ever had to do. I was wasted. Totally flat, and I knew it too. There was barely anything left in the tank.

I didn't let loose with too much new stuff last night. I've got a few little nuggets to tinker with, but I don't want to let them out into the light of day just yet. I have a feeling that this year will bring some interesting stuff.

Today, I found out that I sold some stuff to XM satellite radio. I had no idea they had bought anything until someone handed me a cheque. It was a pleasant surprise for sure.

I have been slow to commit to gigs so far, but I feel like I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. I have a gig in Red Deer next week with Johnny Guardhouse, and I'm looking forward to it. My hope for March is that I will hit the road a lot harder, and get some shit done. I'm hoping that I can hit Calgary, Edmonton, and Saskatchewan pretty soon. Hell I'm even willing to give my Nemesis Kelowna another go.

Anyway… I need to crash.

More to come.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Congrats on the sale to satalite radio! Now, that is reason to dress up...

be well,
~Angela