Sunday, February 05, 2006

02/05/06 Football


This next statement will be considered by many to be sacrilege. I hate NFL football. It holds absolutely no appeal for me. I find it boring. I would rather watch flies fuck, or paint dry or even take a long haul off an ether bottle than spend the afternoon watching football. I don’t care who’s a good team, or who’s bad. I just don’t give a shit.

I realize I’m not making friends here, and frankly I’m okay with that. I think football should be replaced with something else. Something so super fantastic that really captures the imagination of the fans. I think it’s time we brought back the gladiators. Now there’s something I can get behind. Imagine the roar of the crowd with every clank of a sword. The ooh’s and ah’s when some poor bastard gets mauled would be like music to my years.

I would be in total glee, sitting there with my beer and popcorn watching the goriest of human blood sports. What’s more sporty than fighting for your very survival? I think it’s little coincidence that most football stadiums look a lot like the coliseum in Rome.

If you want to impress me don’t throw some stupid old hunk of pigskin, fight off a tiger instead. I’d pay big money to see athletes try and kill one another while avoiding the gnashing teeth of a carnivorous beast. That just makes the Super Bowl sound pretty lame to me.

Besides the skill involved in fighting with a net and trident is pretty impressive. Those are some pretty clumsy weapons.

Imagine the marketing opportunities too. There are billions to be made with this. Look at what Vince McMahon has managed with wrestling. Hell even UFC is doing well. I just think it’s about time to take it one step further.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your gladiator story puts a new spin on the phrase "may the best man win" ..... but I like where you are going with this. NFL isn't the best thing to have to watch if you want to stay awake .... Give me something which can be talked about around the water cooler the following Monday!! Go the Bloodsport!
-z-