Saturday, December 04, 2004

12/04/04 Waiting Around

So here I am, at work, staring blankly at the yellowish walls. Last night we had to power down our networks. Today, everything came up fine except the phone system. Apparently we slipped off of the PRI Voice link to Bell Canada. So now, I sit and wait until Bell repairs the problem. Not what I had in mind for a Saturday. I think I'd rather drive farming implements into my eye sockets than be here today. Oh well...

There's snow on the ground today, a far cry from yesterday's 9 degrees. I hate winter. Humanity should never have left Africa. Warm weather, monkeys to hang out with, what the hell were we thinking when we moved to more nothern climates. Stupid hominids. What's the worst thing a hairless ape can do? Move to a shitty snow infested rock heap.

Christmas is coming, and fast too. This year seems to have screamed by. I guess if you keep active, and have a busy year, you don't notice how fast the days slip on by. It seems like a lightning flash, but maybe it's just me.

Christmas in Calgary doesn't have the same charm that it did in Newfoundland. People here always seem rushed, and the few days off they do take, don't seem to have the same kind of reverance. St. John's at Christmas always had a feeling of hope to it. Like people were getting ready for a renewal. A time to relax and recharge before the challenges of the new year were set upon us. Perhaps, it's just the little things that make it different.

I used to love the Mount Cashel raffel, the Christian Brothers ringing the bells on Water Street, the turkeys in their pens, and the Crown and Anchor wheels spinning like mad. Christmas shopping was fun then. Mom and I would always hunker down to a plate of Chips, dressing and gravy, and make a plan on which store to hit next. Sooner or later, we'd hit the Arcade (a discount department store...) then off to the Avalon mall, like mad people.

No comments: