Friday, August 05, 2005

08/05/05 Just a little update...

I did some time at Yuks on Wednesday. It was really fun. I have changed my pacing on stage. It’s a little slower than it used to be, and a little more subdued. It seems to fit better with my personality, and is a little closer to who I am trying to present on stage. It almost feels like a well-tailored suit, fitting properly in all the right places. This is the first suit that actually makes this man, and I really like it.

The set went well. It was one of those moments when my actions played out in slow motion. Everything seemed to get blurry. It was very much like the precious few seconds before impact in a traffic accident. (Minus the bone shattering collision…) My level of control has changed too; I am more able to whip an audience into shape without using obvious techniques.

Stand up has become more of what I wanted it to be, an exercise in freedom. I am getting more and more comfortable with straying away from material and expanding on ideas without being anchored to the original joke. I like that,

Other stuff…

Brett has been in town for the last few days. I am enjoying seeing my old friend. He is more grounded than I have ever seen him be. He has started to weave the questions he has about the universe into his act. He has found patience on stage, and that is refreshing,

Tomorrow we are going to the football game. I haven’t been to one in a long time. He and I have the same unhealthy love of sports; although he is certainly better a rattling off stats than I will ever be. The impending return of hockey has made both of us into junkies, inhaling the daily trade reports as if they were the wisps of some sweet narcotic smoke. (Imagine the Saddle dome as an opium den for 19,000) I can’t wait for the first puck to drop. I need my fix.

More to come…

No comments: