Wednesday, November 30, 2005

11/30/05

This post may piss some people off, but I don’t really care. Tonight I saw a piece on the news that infuriated me. There is a move afoot to change the name of the Christmas tree.

Apparently the forces of political correctness would rather it be called a “Holiday tree”. What utter rot. What purpose does this possibly serve? This is nothing more than a foolish waste of time. Has our society completely lost its fucking mind?

Now I’m not much of a Christian. Truthfully a lot of that collection of beliefs makes me equally angry, however, it strikes me that this kind of nonsense just serves to highlight differences rather than embrace them.

Thanks to guilty feeling white folks, we have successfully re branded Christmas. It’s no longer good practice to wish people “Merry Christmas” now it has to be “Happy Holidays.” I for one refuse to say that. I will not utter those words. I will say Merry Christmas, or Happy Hanukkah (Joyous Kwanzaa… etc.)

I am a firm believer that every single person in the world should have the right to practice their own traditions. Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, Wiccans, and everyone else big and small should have their rights and freedoms protected. (Celebrations of faith inclusive.) Show me a petition and I’ll sign it, give me a march and I’ll be first in line, but I will not embrace sheltering others from our traditions. Especially the ones we hold the dearest.

I am more than willing to join others in celebrating different traditions, but at no point do I want people to change them. It is not my right to interfere. (Unless it causes harm to others…)

Imagine changing the name of a Menorah to “Holiday Candelabra”. That would never happen. What would happen if we insisted that Ramadan be renamed “Period of Self Denial and Reflection.” Imagine the uproar that would cause. Imagine a Crucifix being called “The Magic T.”

Perhaps we should just do our thing and just not worry about it. Last time I checked Christmas was not a celebration of intolerence, so we should stop treating it that way.

I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't give a hoot. Why would they? At no point is this designed to run over someone else's cultural differences, just to celebrate our own.

Until then... I'm gonna put decorations on the Christmas Tree.

5 comments:

Angela said...

You said it!

Lisa said...

The interesting part of all this is that most people I know feel the same way you do. If everyone feels that way why has this not been stopped? I feel as if I should wear an "I am a Christian" sign just so I can say Merry Christmas. But if I do that then I'm forcing my religion on you all. As if you're not all smart enough to choose your own religion. Christmas is quickly becoming the definition of rediculous.

Anonymous said...

Fuck-ing-A Marcus. Right on the money.

Daryl Makk said...

It is Christmas
It is a Christmas Tree
In the words of Homer J Simpson "If you don't like it go back to Russia!!"

I too am sick of all this PC crap and it seems only the Christian faith is under attack?? Why?
I am not a religious man but do believe in some of the morality of religous beliefs. there is a lot of fluff and mind control in every faith as well but I am not going to make them change their terms. Have at 'er if it makes your life fulfilled.
Now if you will excuse me I have to nail a virgin rabbit to a big wreath (made of panda bones) to pay homage to my beer god. The minister is a hooker and a bookie.
I call it the "Leave me the fuck alone church"
;-)
Brett Martin writes the hymn we sing and it involves the Queen. Those of you who know him, know the song.

Anonymous said...

My name is Rochelle and I came across your blog and concerning this entry, I thought you might enjoy this little funny.
http://www.funnyheck.com/christmas/foamychristmas.html