Wednesday, January 25, 2006

11/24/06 The Sun Rose This Morning Just Fine...


It’s really going to be fun to watch Harper try and pull this whole minority government thing off. He didn’t look too smug last night during his speech. I suspect he just realize what he just inherited. Brings to mind the adage “Careful what you wish for.”

He has been granted an extremely short leash. It’s going to be like a fucked up game of Jenga for him. The more appealing parts of his agenda will likely pass without too much gnashing of teeth. It’s the nuttier stuff that is going to cause him some grief.

With the exception of Calgary and Edmonton, Canada’s major centres, including the biggest city in western Canada all turned him away at the door. So in addition to having to play ball with Quebec, he now has to tangle with potentially adversarial relationships in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. That’s a bit of a sticky jam.

In addition, his conservatives were unable to give the Liberals the kind of “Tit Slapping’ that he and his cohorts were pining for. He has a dangerous opposition sitting across from him, and it won’t take too much for them to snap him like a twig.

To my way of thinking, it’s like having a box of old dynamite, and a group of kids playing with matches. (Except most of the kids have some sort of nervous disorder… like Parkinson’s.)

Regardless of my own political proclivities, I hope that Harper does well. It’s now in the best interest of the country to keep this government together… At least for now, especially given that this election has cost us nearly 250 million dollars. We should have something to show for that kind of expenditure. Shouldn’t we?

Given that my party, as well as the one I voted for (As a protest…) both did less well in this election, you’d think I’d be more bitter about it. But I’m not. I tip my hat to mister Harper, now he has a chance to prove his detractors wrong. In the grand scheme of things, we should all be so lucky.

Prime Minister Harper… I can live with that, (Given that I have to…) but for some reason I really like the sound of Prime Minister McKenna better.

No comments: