Friday, July 01, 2005

07/01/05

I just spent the last hour at the gym in my building. I’m trying to beat the 25-pound plateau that I seem to have gotten stuck at. I’m blasting at it with as much cardio as I can manage. I’m wiped, and I smell like an old hockey bag, but I feel like I’ve accomplished something. Tomorrow I’m getting right back on that horse. I am a man determined.

I also managed to get some decent sleep. That’s what I want out of my Canada day. Just a really good rest, and that’s about it. I have no real desire to celebrate. Don’t get me wrong, I love being Canadian and all, but really it’s just the place that I’m from. I don’t have an over inflated sense of pragmatic patriotism. I’ll leave that to the Archie Bunker Type slobs. (I realize that’s a fictitious American character… but it seemed to fit the stereotype I was going for.) They seem to get off on it. I do not.

The only time I get really wrapped up in patriotism is when hockey supremacy is on the line. This may be hypocritical to some, but I don’t give a shit. I’m willing to live with it.

I’d have to say that my expectations for our nation’s birthday have been dramatically lowered over the years. To me is has become as anti climactic as New Year’s Eve. I just don’t really care that much. For some reason I’m unable to get excited when the big red ball drops, or the clock strikes 12. Perhaps it’s just a ploy to unload cheap champagne on the masses.

I find myself wondered if most people fake the excitement. I’ve forced the smile through gritted teeth, and sang the song with a curse under my breath. How many of us are there? How many are mixing it up at the party? How many would rather be doing something else? Too many times, I’ve struggled to get that taxi at 4am.

It all just seems too forced to me.

On to other stuff…

I started cutting together a promo video last night. I really liked my performance on the tape, but I didn’t realize just how fat I had gotten. I looked like the Micheline man. (More to the point, the Micheline man in a pink shirt. Fuck…what was I thinking?) Just call me BIB. Anyway, I decided to pitch it, and re-shoot in the fall. The audio however is still useable. I think it will become the CD I have been promising for eons. I’ve been scraping together some possible titles for it. This is the list I have come up with. I’m counting on all of you readers to vote on the best one.

1) Maybe The Problem is you.
2) A tad Overweight, But Olive eyes to die for.
3) The Scrapes of Wrath
4) I used to be Fat.
5) Perhaps you should Floss…
6) Marcus Beaubier – Live at Yuk Yuks
7) Disfigured Skating, A Gentleman's Handbook...
8) What gives you the right to put out a CD…
9) New and Improved Flavour…

Anyway, Just leave a comment on which one you like best, and I'll use some sort of scientific method to calculate the results.

8 comments:

Daryl Makk said...

Marcus, you smell like an old hockey bag without working out!!
:-)
I was just talking to Ditata on the ph and he told me to put him down for 7) Disfigured skating; a gentelman's handbook.
Me I don't like any of them. I would accept a modification on one title.
"Marcus live at the mike"
While Yuks has givie you many great stages, Marcus live at Yuk Yuks splits the spotlight between you and a club. A CD is about you.
Just my 2 cents.

Angela said...

I kind of like number 1...

Anonymous said...

Well, Dang it, Marcus, I always thought your name was spelled with a "K". Sorry for all the times I've missed that. At any rate, I like 6 and 8. 6 describes what the CD is about, although I think the Daryl fellow might have something there about not needing Yuk Yuks, I think the mention of the place makes it regional, but gives a good description of what the CD will be like. Number 8 catches my attention and makes me wonder what the CD is, so I like it. Best! Kathy

Anonymous said...

I laughed the most at #7 and #1.
Couldn't pick just one.

Nicki

denise said...

So far #1, but I have cramps and I'm terribly hungover. So, whatever, and leave me alone.

D.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marcus...Shmelle here... I'm digging 1,3,5 and 7. I know that doesn't narrow it down too much but let me think about it and I'll get back to you....

Peace out my brother!!

Lisa said...

Personally I think 3 could be a risk. If you want this blog/rant/whatever to grow then go for it. You'll draw out the crazies. And yes you will have them come to the site even if you don't have the URL on the CD. Inevitably someone will Google it and it's all downhill from there. It will probably be the one dumb fuck from the second row who just REALLY THOUGHT YOU SUCKED (and thought you should know) and suddenly he'll be here telling you that. (That could be fun of course.)

On the other hand having a web page is always good marketing and you could really make something of it but you might lose that other something that makes it fun for you right now as well.

My vote is for number 1. I love it and I bet a lot of people identify with it which makes them want to hear what you have to say.

I hope all that made sense.

Anonymous said...

I'm torn between voting for Number Two, Number Seven or just not voting at all and allowing our broken system of democracy to deteriorate into a morass of apathy and frustrating disenfranchisement.

What to do? What to do?