Friday, July 08, 2005

07/08/05

Today is the first day of the Calgary Stampede. For the uninitiated, The “Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth” starts with a big parade. Which is great right? Who doesn’t love a parade? On the list of humanity’s most beloved things, I believe parades fall somewhere in between pirates and deep fried dessert treats. My only issue with the parade is this. It starts at 7:30 am. What undead cowpoke decided on that start time?
Clearly the wild-hearted spirit of west doesn’t involve sleeping.

As a pedestrian, it matters little to me that the parade clogs up the downtown on a Friday morning. (I can get behind the chaos…) Truthfully, I like all the people milling about. I just find it hard to get that excited about anything before 10am.

While I’m not the biggest fan of the Stampede Exhibition itself, I do like what happens to the city in that 10-day period. Calgary pulls the stick out of its ass and has a good old time. For 10 days people are a little more human. Sure it’s a little odd to see Asians dressed as cowboys, and most people look really silly in a Stetson, but it’s fun. Even if it just reinforces stereotypes of the west.

Other things…

Tomorrow I’m going to do a show in Red Deer. It’s been about 3 years since I last played at the legion hall there. I’m excited. I get to go with Jasen Fredricksen and Dave Nystrom. I like those guys a lot, so this should be fun.

Tonight, Erin and I are going to the movies. I think we are going to see Batman Begins. I have already seen it, but I loved it, so I am more than willing to go again. I think I have a hopeless addiction to popcorn. (Well, from the theatre…)

Yesterday I mentioned a graphic novel called “V for Vendetta” I discovered that it is going to be a movie. The producers of the Matrix have just finished up principal photography, with November 5th as the release date. For those of you who don’t understand the significance of the date, it’s Guy Fawkes Day… or Bonfire night.

Given the nature of the story, it couldn’t be a more appropriate day.

"Remember, remember, the fifth of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot. We see no reason why
Gunpowder treason should ever be forgot!"

Anyway…

No comments: