Tuesday, July 19, 2005

07/19/05

I feel great (You could even say both hale and hearty…). I got to sleep late, but it seems to have had no effect on me. I caught myself humming “The Ladybug’s Picnic” on my way to work. I’m not sure why my brain decided to dredge that one up, but it made me smile. Then it got stuck in my head. It has become like some sort of musical version of typhus. It just won’t stop.

Some people are tortured by their demons (Vincent VanGogh, Charles Manson, Jackson Pollock…) me, I’m tortured by a catchy little tune from Sesame Street about insects. If it weren’t so very annoying, it would be funny. It’s like the Zapruder film sequence in the movie JFK. “Back and to the left… Back and to the left… Back and to the left…”

Mind you, it’s not as if I have steeped into the mouth of madness. (Yet…) I just hate having shit repeat itself in my head. Apparently though I’m not alone. According to an American university professor, a song getting stuck in our head happens to roughly 97 percent of the population.

Apparently it’s a sort of "cognitive itch" - the mental equivalent of an itchy back. The brain replays the song over and over again to “scratch the itch.”

2 comments:

Angela said...

I love to get strange songs stuck in people's head at work. I will hum some familiar song, and they go away singing it under their breath. Some of my favorites include "On Top of Spaghetti" and "That's Amore". Give it a try, it's pretty fun.

~Angela

Daryl Makk said...

I once had a Micheal Jackson song stuck in my head. I don't know why because I hate the man and his work. It was enough to drive me to the edge. The I thought, wait, I am a full adult male....he can't hurt me!!