Tuesday, July 26, 2005

07/26/05 Ketchup Sammichs

I had this very funny dream last night. President Bush was sitting in the oval office, wearing a black leather jacket, and pretending to be the “Fonz.” (I have thought for some time that he kind of looks like a Fonzie… A Fonzie in serious need of a good poop, but a Fonzie nonetheless…) Then he got messed up on meth amphetamines and started calling Condi Rice his favourite “Negro.” Condi got all flushed, they started making out, and then it got more graphic from there. Laura Bush came in dressed in a “Springer & Hannity in 08” t-shirt. She was holding a big plate of home made cookies. She wasn’t shocked by her husband’s behaviour. In fact she just started to laugh and then said “Oh George…”

Now… I have strange dreams all the time. Usually though, I’m on safari, or scoring the winning overtime goal for the Flames, or doing something incredible. Never do I dream about this kind of psychobabble nonsense. I must have eaten something odd last night. I wish I were kidding around about this dream. It actually bothered me. (Mind you, I suspect that any dream where President Bush is a principle character would be bothersome to most.)

I have been trying to ignore American politics in this for the past little while. (With the exception of the last post… But Rove just pissed me off.) Lately I seem to be drawn to it again. I guess I’m just bored and the magnetic pull of that circus of chaos is too much for me to resist. In my mind I compare it to the magnetic pull of Woolco. (In a time before Wal-Mart sullied the Canadian landscape.)

To explain, when I was a teenager, and started hanging out at the mall, (The Avalon Mall in St. John’s) one of the anchor stores was Woolco. It didn’t seem to matter where you started in the mall, sooner or later you’d inexplicably wind up in the centre of Woolco, usually with a confused look on your face. The only thought being “How the fuck did I get here…” Then you’d go the “Red Grill” for a plate of fries and gravy. There would be a few other people that got caught in the whirling retailer vortex, scratching their heads and trying to enjoy some sort of greasy treat.

That must be it. American politics is like a greasy treat. It’s fast, easily accessible, and really, really bad for you. It makes perfect sense. To take it one step further, it is just as unsatisfying in the long run.

I visited Micah Wright’s website yesterday. For those of you who don’t know who he is, Micah is an artist, and has been running the “Propaganda Remix Project.” He takes Second World War and Cold War posters, and puts a new spin on them for the time that we live in. He has a good sense of humour and has used his conscience to make a statement. Anyway, he posts the hate mail that he gets, and some of it is really awful.

You’ll really be floored by the level of ignorance that these people spew. He regularly gets called things like a communist, a traitor, a faggot, and the list goes on and on. The usual “Archie Bunker” slobs bark at him with barbs like “Love it or leave it…” etc. It’s sad that they don’t realize it takes more conviction to stand up and question things than it does to piss on someone.

It’s sad that people can’t get past their own prejudices. We all have them, and I am no exception. For instance, I would be inclined to call the people that emailed Micah “hillbillies”, still others would get the label “dullards and rednecks”, then there are a few that could be stacked into the “Ketchup sammich eating trailer park trash” pile. But then again, I have no problem with the double standard, and I have no problem stooping to their level. I’m willing to fight fire with fire. I’m more than willing to get my hands dirty. Someone has to.

Liberals (and don’t get confused with a “party” here…) have been demonized and for some reason fail to strike back. Some might use the “Why stoop to that level?” argument. I think that’s bullshit. When you’re running for your life, seldom should you stop and be polite, or take the high road. There is absolutely no time for it.

It appears I’m off on a rant again…

Check out Micah's website...

www.micahwright.com

Perhaps leave him a nice message.

1 comment:

Daryl Makk said...

Your Woolco reference brought back so many memories that I had to run to the can for a "Red Grill" poop. Thankfully I did it like the Fonz!