Thursday, October 20, 2005

10/20/05


Today has been an emotional day for me. I have been running the gamut of highs and lows, and I can’t seem to wrap my head around why. It feels like I might cry one minute, and the next I feel like laughing till I fall over. (It reminds me of a rubber band that’s been stretched just to the breaking point, and then released before it actually happens.)

Perhaps it’s just the change in seasons… The seasons here shift gears rather poorly. It’s like a teenager trying to learn how to use a standard gearbox for the first time. There’s an awful lot of jerking back and forth, and not much good to show for it.

It was snowing a little when I left the house for work. No good can come from that. The weather prognosticators insist that winter will roar in like a lion this year, and will likely bring the entire pride for an extended stay. I can’t say I’m wildly excited about that prospect.

Other stuff…

Bill Clinton was in town this week to pick up a cheque from Canada to help out with relief for Katrina victims. (Survivors?) He, from all accounts was very gracious, and gave us a little pat on the back for our efforts. (Think less Monica, and more favourite uncle…)

He also stepped into the fray about Canada’s position in the world’s oil game. He understands something that Bush and Company just doesn’t get. Rumour has it that Canada is the new oil power in the world. Alberta alone is sitting on a reserve that is larger that what the Saudi’s have to play with, and makes Texas look like barely more than a Texaco station.

But Clinton is not the only one who gets this. There are a couple of Republican senators who have taken notice too. Their words have been kind towards Canada, and seem to be carefully chosen. They seem to understand that it’s important to stem the war of words taking place between Ottawa and Washington.

Apparently all you have to say is… “Perhaps the Chinese would like all this oil we have here…” and out come the niceties… “Canada is an excellent neighbour and a good friend to us…” etc…

It's amazing when you have money, how people's manners change.

No comments: