Thursday, May 12, 2005

05/12/05 Home Sweet Home

I’m home for a while. I’m happy to be here too. Happily I don’t have another road gig till the second week of June. I feel like I’ve been living in a suitcase for most of the New Year. I’m not complaining about it, but there is definitely something to be said for home. I think I took the creature comforts for granted. Nothing makes me happier than my own bed, and the one I love sleeping next to me.

Other stuff...

It seems the stage time has done me some good though, I feel stronger and more capable than I did, and have started writing again. It’s still dirty, but I have decided to embrace that for what it is. This is the place where I am right now, and this material has it’s own value. I’m sure that it will evolve as everything does, but for now it’s as good as it gets.

This concept of being a rostered professional comic is cool. The comics I had idolized as an amateur have become contemporaries. It’s a good feeling. I have started my journey into the real business of Stand Up, and damn it, I like it.

There are some things that I don’t like about this business. It’s rampant with politics, and it’s very difficult to stay away from it. The fragility of most comics’ egos doesn’t help the matter either. It’s like adding white gas to an already raging fire. There are too many little squabbles between what should be grown adults. Sometimes they boil over, and sometimes they just sit and simmer for years, either way no one wins. Almost always others get caught in the middle of the feud de jour, and with remarkable certainty they get hurt.

No comments: