Tuesday, May 31, 2005

05/30/05

“One baby to another says - I'm lucky to have met you
I don't care what you think, unless it is about me
It is now my duty to completely drain you…”

I’ve had this Nirvana song stuck in my head for 3 weeks straight. It’s called “Drain You” I’m sure it must mean something. (For the record, I love the song… but it seems to be haunting me.)

I did a lot of walking today. I walked to and from work, and then a bunch (the closest empirical measurement I could muster…) more tonight. It was nice and sunny today. The trees in my neigbourhood have finally surrendered their buds, and the shade along 13th avenue is lovely. I found myself stomping along, and blasting Bad Religion as loudly as the little ipod could muster. I had a good groove going on.

I got to wear my Punk Voter t-shirt today. That makes me happy. It’s the first time I’ve ever been able to wear it. When I got it in November, It was really, really tight. Now it’s billowing off of me. It’s red and had a picture of Bush on it with evil written across his forehead. There are some things that I am willing to advertise, and my brand of politics is one of them.

I’ve been kinda bored lately. After that spate of gigs, it got quiet. Too damn quiet. I really need some stage time. The time off is not fun. No gang, I don’t like it.

When I went for my walk tonight, I stopped at the Ship for a diet coke. Three separate people approached me, to tell me that they recognized me from appearances at Yuks. It was really strange. It was flattering, but a little uncomfortable too. I guess its cause I never go up to a dentist or some other professional and say… “Nice job with that crown…” or “Way to prosecute that criminal…”

Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s cool to get some validation for what I do, and I guess there’s a cult of personality thing there too, but it just makes me feel awkward.

You can always tell when someone recognizes you too. They all make the same kind of gesticulation. First there’s the cup of the hand over the mouth, while they whisper to whomever they are with, then the lingering stare, finally followed by the approach. It’s kinda funny actually. That pattern never changes.

Anyway it’s time to sleep.


No comments: