Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Dread Pirate Al Gore

I went to see a couple of movies on the weekend. The first of which was the documentary “An Inconvenient Truth.” It was great. Al Gore should be commended for it. The subject matter was approached in a simple enough manner that it never files above your head, and yet at no point is it insulting to the lowest common denominator.

Gore is eloquent, and manages to deliver the goods with a little southern charm to sugar the weight of the subject matter. The information provided to the viewer was as shocking as it was terrifying. I could see others around me in the theatre looking uncomfortable. . I left the theatre feeling angry ashamed and hopeful. This film did its job.

I was left thinking that it was really too bad that this man didn’t become President of the United States. The world would have been better off for it.

The other movie was “Pirates of The Caribbean – The Dead Man’s Chest.” This one is a renter. The pacing is clumsy, and there are too many plot points unraveling at once. Depp does an okay job, but I’ve noticed that Jack Sparrow is a lot less interesting the second time out. The character is a little tired. Perhaps it’s because it really lacks depth.

It is apparent that this episode was supposed to be more of a character exposition, and ironically that’s where it falls down. This is not a fun film, but it could have been.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I had a friend who also went to see 'An Inconvenient Truth' on the weekend and they came away from it so sacred and uncomfortable that she actually went and changed her electricity bill to the 'green plan'. Although I have yet to see it I'm starting to think it's a must see for everyone.