Monday, May 08, 2006

Chewbacca


Saturday night was fun. After work I headed to the club. I was excited to be on stage. I haven’t played the Calgary club for a while. I was almost a little nervous too. I could feel that familiar spring in my step. (Although it’s been too long since I’ve felt it…)

Anyway, as I headed towards then main doors of the Blackfoot Inn, I glanced through the window and noticed that Peter Mayhew (the guy who played Chewbacca…) was sitting on the couch. He’s a tall lanky man, and kinda scruffy looking too.

I walked up to him and said, “I know you get this all the time but Chewbacca rocks…” He said, “thank you” and shook my hand.

His hands were the size of tennis racquets. My hand seemed to completely disappear in the process of the shake.

Then I said, “Take it easy…” and I turned and walked away. I had just met a childhood icon, and managed to remain calm. (Not that I’m generally star struck anyhow, but this was Chewbacca!!!)

When they introduced me at the start of the show, instead of any credits, I got them to mention that I had just met Chewbacca.

Meeting Peter Mayhew reminded me that life is full of happy accidents. Even as I type this, I have a crooked smile on my face.

Other, stranger stuff happened too.

A 51-year-old woman tried to pick me up. She was flirty and pleasant enough, but also very direct. It was a very curious exchange. I politely declined. (Although I was flattered…)

The shows went well. The first was pretty full, but the crowd was a little less enthusiastic than I normally like. They got into it, but it took a little longer to get them hot. The second show saw the club only half full, but they were much more eager.

P.S. To my friends in Sask... I just found out that Saskatoon and Regina were expecting me with Bobby Keele this past weekend. Unfortunately there was a scheduling change... sorry for the mix up. I'll let you know the next time I'm booked!

Cheers

1 comment:

Daryl Makk said...

Meeting Chewy?? Cool!
As for the 51 year old woman....she tries to pick up everyone!!
;-)
Daryl Makk