Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Davinci's Vendetta


Friday I went to see “The Davinci Code”. My official review is as follows: It’s was a decidedly okay movie. Visually it was great. The scenes in the Louvre were pretty. The action sequences were better than average. (Excluding the car chase, which was bloody spectacular.) For some reason though, it just kinda felt flat.

That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy it for what it was. I heard someone harping on about how Tom Hanks was totally wrong for the part. He’s seemed to do a reasonable job. (Mind you I haven’t read the book yet!) He managed to suspend my disbelief, and ultimately that’s what I paid for. Will he win an Oscar for this? Not likely, but at least I didn’t feel ripped off. This is not a movie that redefines the medium. Sometimes that’s okay. This is one of those times.

In truth I have avoided the book to date, because I’d rather “discover” it in my own time. I refuse to get caught up in the fray. Fans of this book seem to be a frenzied sort. It has become a “Harry Potter” for the adult set. (And everyone on the planet now seems to think that they are well informed on all matters concerning the grail…)

I like to keep my distance from that. The only reason why I went to the movie was because Erin wanted to see it, and because we were able to walk right in. There was no overwhelming throng. I hate all the over hyped and mania usually associated with a movie of this nature! (With some notable exceptions, Like Star Wars…) I’m as likely to wait 10 years before I read it, as I am to crack the spine soon.

There are some other books out there that embrace the topic from a historical perspective. Most are heavily laden with conjecture, but they offer something more, namely the curious nature of the write, and that I find more fascinating.

I have just started to dig into Michael Baigent’s new book “The Jesus Papers.” For those interested, I’ll let you know how it is in the near future.

I also finally got to see the movie “V for Vendetta.” (My houseguest this weekend was besotted by my not having seen it yet. He demanded that we go…)

To say it was stunning is an understatement. I think it could be fairly said that the Wachowski brothers made a clever little warning about letting government get out of control. (Although they nicely gift wrapped to make it palatable…)

I was brought to near tears a couple of times. There is a monologue from an off screen character that is totally heart breaking. The emotional impact undoes the viewer, but never goes too far. Make no mistake, I think this is an important film. It works very hard to remind us of four key things.

1)Government is for the people, by the people, and of the people.
2)People should not be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of the people.
3)It is easy to be duped if you do not inform yourself.
4)Fear is as effective a motivator, as it is ugly and insidious.

In this day and age these are crucial things to remember. From this day forward, and every time George Bush, or Stephen Harper speaks, I will remember them. (Rather than just shudder like I used to.) They need to be a touchstone for all of us. Regardless of political proclivities these principles need to be treated with due care and caution. They are the tenets of all that we hold dear. If we are not vigilant, we will loose them, and sadly, they will become nothing more than a footnote in history.

“Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...”

4 comments:

denise said...

How dare you continue to perpetuate the Bush/Harper myth. They do not have the same sensiblities and for you to cowtow to that mentality tells me that you are pretending to be foolish. I know that you are not. You are are a brilliant man. So, back up this pile of shit that you are flinging. (now, I know that you are going to pull out all kinds of so-called data, cause you have admitted that you'll never be wrong, but you will be very selective - do what you have to do, cause I will not respond)

Love you long time.

D.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I also think that V for Vendetta is an imporant film...the film is practically a call for revolution. And I understand what you mean about remembering what our politicians say. Not necessarily agreeing with it, but listening and recognizing that what they say publically carries meaning which we must be aware of. And we should remember that the day may come when we will have to attend to their actions, and not in a polite way.

What in hell is the Bush/Harper myth? That they are a kind of combined Beowulf? Are they deserving of mythological status? I thought they were a couple of drooling mutts serving the needs of the industrial-military complex. I didn't think that was a myth, I thought that was blatantly obvious.

Marcus C. Beaubier said...

There is no myth. There is only truth. Bush and Harper are thick as thieves. If my enemy's enemy is my friend, then my enemy's friend is my enemy!

Lisa said...

I would suggest not starting with the Da Vinci Code. If you're going to read Dan Brown's work start with his earliest book and work your way up. I read DVC first and was hooked but in retrospect having read the others now I wish I had done it that way. He's a brilliant writer who leaves you lying in bed with insomnia every night waiting with baited breath for the next page. If it doesn't kill you nothing will. Mind you, with your chronic insomnia I'm sure most nights resemble this.