Tuesday, January 04, 2005

01/04/05 Back to the land of "God Dammit, I'm where?"

I had a real hard time crawling out of bed this morning. The knowledge that I had to go and be in an office all day, really just seemed to spur on my inability to function. I'm pretty sure you'd need to drive a peg into the ground next to me, just to make sure I was actually moving.

The first day back to work seemed pretty good overall. I wound up in a really long meeting, and that dragged a little, (alright… a lot…) but generally I felt it was a good productive start to the New Year. I did spend some time over the holidays working, but I tried to space it out a little, so I could spend some real quality time with my friends and family.

I spent a lot of time at the Glenbow Museum during the break. There are some really cool exhibits there right now. There were two that commanded my attention. The first was a group of the collected works of Auguste Rodin. His statues are fantastic. My favorite was a piece called "The Gates of Hell" It was so striking. It reminded my of a few Hindu pieces I had seen at a different exhibition a few years ago.

The second was an exhibition of art pieces by an artist named Evan Penny. His stuff was really cool. It was a collection of giant faces. They were hyper realistic. Every crease and line, every beauty mark, and every wrinkle. It was bizarre how real it looked. Imagine your head, only five times the size, and just a little distorted. It was an excellent counter point to Rodin's sculptures.

I was totally mesmerized by both installations, and for totally opposite reasons.

Other stuff...

I had a really good show on the 23rd of December. A good friend of mine reminded me, that I should never pander to a crowd. It was the first time I was really able to unleash on an audience in quite some time. It was liberating. I felt like a god when I was done. An exhausted God, but a God nonetheless. I could feel a tide of energy; it was something that I had forgotten how to tap into. The entire time I was on stage, I had total control, and jerked the crowd like they were my own marionettes. More importantly, I felt alive.

More to come later...


No comments: