Saturday, January 22, 2005

01/22/2005 A little about me

My friend Brett wants me to divulge more about who I am in my writing. I find this concept curious. I share my thoughts, and feelings in what I write, and yet it seems to many I am an enigma. (not in a grandiose sense mind you...)

I am a man heading to his mid 30’s. I am passionate, and driven by my convictions. Like everyone on the planet, I have my prejudices (which seem to escape more often than I’d like.) and despite my ramblings, I have faith in humanity. (this will likely be my undoing one day...).

Anyway, here are some things that I like, Perhaps they will help to build a character sketch for those of you who don’t know me.

1) I like really loud crashing noises, Especially ones involving metal. (I’m always disappointed when I hear car breaks scream, and there is no CRUNCHING sound.)

2) I‘m generally shy. I don’t like talking to people I don’t know. It takes me a long time to warm up to people. (although I can really fake it. Sometimes you have to, just to be able to function...) I tend to feel awkward.

3) I have a strange knack for reading people. I get a very good sense of people right away. (It doesn’t mean I want to associate with them... I just tend to "get" them.

4)Music affects me greatly. I have been reduced to mass of quivering jelly by music from every idiom imaginable.

5) I’m a geek. I like really geeky shit. Comic books, SCI fi, record collecting, toys, video games, and a litany of other stuff that the "pretty people" consider uncool. Of course I can read, and don’t judge people by what they look like, or what they have... so really, I think I win.

6) I own a Mac. I love my Mac. I am a zealot for Apple. Once you go Mac, You never go back. (It’s rare for me to espouse some sort of brand loyalty... see the whole geek thing.)

7) I suffer greatly from shiny object syndrome. If it makes a noise, and can reflect light into my eyes, I giggle like a school girl.

8) I am stubborn, opinionated, and spiteful.

9) I have always had a hard time sleeping. I don’t until my body insists on shutting down. I have always been this way. It is a burden I have gotten used to.

10) Sarcasm and cynicism are the 6 guns at my side.

11) I make my self laugh. People can find this annoying. I care not.

12) Peter’s Drive In hamburgers are my favorite junk food in the whole world. (ESP with a pile of onion rings and a chocolate and banana milkshake.)

13) I like scotch.

14) I remember my dreams most of the time.

15) I day dream a lot. It does wonders for my soul.

16) I have a love / hate relationship with popular culture. It’s like a traffic accident. I don’t wanna look, but I have to. Regardless of the fact, that most of the time it feels like a band aid being prematurely torn off.

17) I love to laugh. Big loud, offensive laughter is food for the soul. I like the vile, rotten stuff. That’s what makes me laugh. After years of being around other comedians, I’m so disaffected, that it has to be pure evil for me to laugh.

18) I have a fear of success.

19) I admire criminals. Well, to a certain extent. Perhaps it’s because they exist outside of convention. I admonish violence, but a good scam is genius.

20) My heart leans left. It always will.

21) I’m fascinated by seedy bars. I’m like a moth to the flame. I guess I’m a bit of a voyeur. They seem to be a good way to examine a different aspect of the human condition that I’m used to.
I have a guilty conscience.

22) If I do something that violates my code of ethics, it sits on my shoulder like a winged monkey, and screams in my ear.

23) Childern frighten me. They seem to fragile, (and they often smell bad...) I’m amazed that we have survived as a species.

24) Lego is still cool. It always will be.

25) I love to swear, especially when it makes people feel uncomfortable.

Anyway.. I’ll add more things, as I think of them.

That’s it for now.

No comments: