Thursday, January 06, 2005

01/06/05

Yet again I got to have another fucking trip to the dentist. I'm pretty sure he's made enough money off me this year to buy a Condo in Hawaii. My face is still numb from the freezing. I can't feel my nose. At this point, I'm not even sure I have one. All this dental work is getting tiresome. I feel as if I spend as much time in that office, as I do at work, or at home. No good can come from this.

At least he keeps up on his magazines in the lobby. I hate it when the only thing to read in the whole office is a copy of Highlights Magazine for Boys circa 1978. While the outrageous, and often wacky antics of Goofus and Gallant have been known to keep me in stitches for hours, there is definitely something to be said for periodicals from this century.

According to Time magazine, George W. Bush is this year's person of the year. Clearly 2004 was the year of the idiot savant megalomaniac. I wonder who will get the honour in 2005. Hopefully someone a little more human, and a lot less fixated on the minutia of things that make no sense.

Other stuff...

I'm still trying to get a grasp on the disaster in Asia. It boggles my mind that 150,000 people vanished off of the planet in the shortest of moments. I realize that historically death on that scale can happen with the stroke of a pen, but it's still surreal to me. I'm trying to imagine that happening here. What would I do? What would you do? I'm pretty sure we'd all be fucked. (While I have been known to pray for a purifying flood to come and wash away all the nastiness that surrounds us, I gotta tell you, I have no desire to be in the middle of it.)

But I digress; What's more alien to me is this. This diabolical tragedy happened on Boxing Day. A day when North Americans flocked en masse to shopping malls to consume just a little more, (almost like some sick spawning ritual) and at the very same time Poseidon's hell on earth was unleashed upon those poor unsuspecting people. In many of the cases, destroying people who had little or nothing to begin with.

What does that mean? It strikes me as the cruelest cut of all. It almost sounds as if God hates the poor unwashed masses. Where is all that “The meek shall inherit the earth” stuff? He certainly has a funny way of showing he cares about his children. “I love you... Therefore you can all suffer...” Then again… they were mostly heathen savages anyway. Perhaps I'm letting frustration, and bitterness cloud my feelings. I don't really blame God, mostly because I'm not sure he exists, and also because it's just too easy a target when the shit hits the fan.

I guess I just find the whole thing too sad to really comprehend. The whole thing makes me feel a little guilty. Sometimes I think we're the ones who are really more deserving of that kind of damnation. (Not that I really think a disaster should happen to anyone... much) But, we live in the land of everything, and we (myself included...) cater to each and every whim we can think of. I think we take too many things for granted. There is some sort of cosmic paradoxical joke here, but the punch line is just out of reach.


No comments: