Tuesday, February 22, 2005

02/22/05 Brunch of Chimpanzees

Toronto is a great city. It is a city of endless possibilities. Every street corner leads to another community, another little world, and best of all some of the greatest food I have ever eaten. Yesterday I had a New York Burrito. There was nothing even remotely Mexican about it. Oddly, it's more like a Middle Eastern shawarma. It was hot and spicy, and I loved every bit of it and the Roti here is to die for.

My poor liver hasn't had this much of a workout in quite some time. Peter and Brett dragged (with very little resistance…) me to The Underground Garage, which is the coolest little bar in all of Toronto. It's a seedy little dive, with the best music and atmosphere, and you can smoke there to. Best of all, its bartenders are kings of the heavy pour. I haven't seen a one-ounce pour since I've been here.

Truthfully, in some ways I feel at home here. There is a cosmopolitan feeling here that Calgary lacks. Toronto has an impressive footprint. It's mammoth size, and dysfunctional sense of design, give it a charm. Underneath the soot and grime, one can gleam a thirst for substance. People here go to art galleries, and museums. This city is one of last vestiges left in the country, a place where someone can eek out a living as an artist.

Not that everything's coming up roses around here. People are colder here.
(That's where Calgary shines in comparison…) Everyone keeps their heads down, and there's a distinct glaze in their eyes. There is a seething undercurrent, as if there is some torment that both polarizes Torontonians, and acts like a magnet, sucking people into a whirlpool.

I miss the warmth of my wife's smile. I wish she was here. Being here has just further cemented my belief that I'm a lucky man to have her.

So far, the shows have been great. Last night I played the Rivoli. I had a great time. I rocked the room. I was there in the moment. I had total control. For a brief moment I was a superstar. It did my ego some good. I'm not sure what it did for my id though…

Sunday, I did a show at Einstein's. That one went great too. I followed a horrible hack, prop act. I hate that shit. The stock jokes tumbled from his fool mouth like a parade of shit. He ate 3 bananas, and juggled swords. It was a total fucking travesty. Happily though, it just made my job that much easier.

Tonight I'm going to showcase for Mark Breslin at The Super club. I'm excited, and a little nervous.

More to come

No comments: