Friday, September 23, 2005

09/23/05 I Have Nightmares of Photostatic Clones

It was chilly this morning. Not in a terrible, unpleasant way, but in a sort of seemingly premature way. I had to take the bus this morning. I hate the bus. People always look like they’re on their way to some sort of grim business. The way some looked this morning, I half expected to see soldiers with dogs waiting at every stop, barking instructions in mock German at them as they extricated themselves from the vehicle.

It was truly a sombre lot for the most part. No one seemed to be ready to rush the day headlong. At no point was there a fear that the bus would break out into the chorus of “A Rush And Push and This Land is Ours…” Not that I can really say too much here. Mind you, I was in no real shape to give the world a “Fred Astaire” style heal kick either, but at least I had managed to get my motor started.

Before I left the house this morning, I gazed with frank disapproval at the black rings around my eyes. The person in the mirror didn’t look like me. It seemed more like a Xerox copy of me. The features were the same, but the details were fuzzy. (And it look like there was too much toner used…) I feel I have become exhaustion’s bitch. There is just too much to do before Sunday’s rest. I would kill for a nap… Just a little one… 20 minutes would do… and yet it doesn’t seem to appear in the cards.

We have spent the week looking after Erin’s parent’s place. They have a little white dog named Harvey. He’s a total spaz. He’s afraid of everything, and more specifically me. He looks at me like I have wronged him in some fashion. Well he did… Yesterday he and I had a breakthrough. We went for a couple of walks together, and he was playful and excited. It was nice. Later we both had a little nap. I conked out first, and when I woke up, I noticed that he had curled up in my lap.

I have a heap of shows this week. Tuesday I went to Banff with Kevin McGrath. He’s a good guy, but also an odd duck. But then again, who isn’t a little strange in the land of stand up?

Anyway More to come later…

No comments: