Sunday, September 25, 2005

09/25/05 Just a quick update...

I just rose from a coma. I left the club right after my second set. Thanks to Carol Ann and Eamon, I made it home before I keeled over from exhaustion. I was feeling a little touch and go for most of the night. Strangely a couple of scotches seemed to keep me on track.

The first show went really, really well. I am using less material to get the job done. My bits are expanding nicely, and the show is getting much more personable than ever before. It’s less about the need to be funny, and more about the fact that I am funny. I’m finally starting to get what my contemporaries have been telling about letting my character loose, and it’s working.

Bill Macintosh, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite comics in the business, says that I’ve got a “Guy who’s come to fix the furnace” feel to my show. He’s says it’s blue collar, but clever. It’s more clever than the audience is expecting, and that’s why it works so well. It’s the first time someone has identified the character by name. I think he’s bang on too. But I think it requires a little more reflection on my part.

More to come later …

2 comments:

Daryl Makk said...

Umm, just wondering if you can come over for some comedy writing....and can you look at my furnace while you are here??

Reflect away bud, you are on the right path.

Lisa said...

Never forget that you ARE very funny Marcus. Your contemporaries are right.