Saturday, April 16, 2005

04/16/05 "Here we are, the Princes of the Universe..."

Thursday was huge pile of stinky flaming crap. Smoke free night at Yuk Yuks. It sucked. How one show could suck so much is beyond my comprehension. The crowd was bad, (Again!!!) In fact they were really fucking bad. I wish I could say it was my fault; at least that way there might some explanation for their temperament. The show pretty much ended the way it began, with a (quiet, alone, hiding in the dark kind of) whimper.

Last night was much better. In the first show I had a solid set. After a couple of bad shows, it was nice to get that monkey off my back. I felt it was a little wordy in spots, but overall it went really well. The second show kicked ass. The audience was quite rowdy, but I managed to turn that into big laughter quite quickly. I had to smack down a heckler, but it took only one tap, and it was done. He decided early in our confrontation that it was a brighter idea to sit quietly and behave for me. After that, the show was all gravy. The M.C on the other hand, was less than impressed with the audience, and seemed to get a little belligerent after the show.

I understood his point of view, and in spirit I was right there with him, but it served no purpose to get uppity about it. The damage was done, and nothing could change that. Friday late show crowds are always loud and obnoxious. It doesn’t matter where you are in the country; Friday late shows always have the potential to get out of hand. It’s a fact, and just one of the many hazards of the job. Sure it’s frustrating, but it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

Actually, he’s a bit of an odd duck. There is a lot of anger brewing inside him. Half the time, he comes off as cold, and speaks only when he’s been spoken too. Then he changes, and becomes chatty. It’s like a little switch has been flipped. I’m not sure if he’s shy, or just a dick. Oddly though, I like the guy. Maybe it’s because I see a fair amount of myself in him. The biggest difference between us is that I have managed to quell some of the bitterness, and he is enveloped by it.

Onto other stuff…

The diet is still going well. I haven’t had a much of a chance to work out this week, but I will get back at it with earnest on Sunday. I’m feeling really good. I’ve gotten stronger, and better still, my appetite has diminished to something more reasonable…

To reward myself for staying true to the diet, I bought myself a pair of old school Vans skate shoes. I love them. They are sooooo comfy. I’d forgotten how much I love them.

Next…

There’s a new band (to me anyway…) called Bloc Party. I like them. They’re quite heavy, but have really catchy melodies. There is a lot of big woody sounding bass and loud crisp, snappy drums. If you like Yo la Tengo, Fugazi or Superchunk, then this is a disc for you.

Now to the strange…

Apparently, last night there was a man shot by the police here in Calgary. According to the newspaper, he was wielding a sword. That’s a little nutty. What kind of person carries a sword? (Excusing the historical context for a minute…) Perhaps he watched too many episodes of “The Highlander.” (I would argue that any number greater than 1 episode is too many… but I digress…) Anyway he got shot. I’m not sure I’d blame a cop for shooting him. The poor bastard probably needs to be put out of his misery.

Anyway, that’s it for now.

End of Transmission

No comments: