Tuesday, April 05, 2005

04/05/05 The Pope and Mitch... a Buddy flick...

Well it's been a few days since I've written a post, and it seems like the world has been turned upside down. Terry Schaivo dies, the Pope dies, and Mitch Hedberg dies. They (Whoever the fuck “They” are... perhaps it's the fates speaking through our collective conscious, or a wheel of psycho bullshit that spins in the back of our heads, strapped to our ID by the underpinning of hearsay and diminished capacity.) say that bad news happens in threes.

It has been a week of reflection. The leader of the faith that I was born into, who was revered as the voice of God on earth by more than a billion people faded away, his the mortal coil extinguished from existence in the most passive of ways. People from every country on the earth mourn, and truthfully I'm not sure that I care.

Was Pope John Paul the second a good man? I think so, but I disagreed with so much that he stood for. Perhaps that's okay. Did I respect him as the leader of a faith that I find I have little in common with? I'm not sure. Maybe I'll never know, maybe as I get older, my interests will change, and I'll give it further reflection.

The death of Mitch Hedberg was more shaking to me. I think it's likely because we live in the same kind of place. The same pressures he lived under surround me. I have lesser demons than his that scourge me, but at least I am able to understand. He was the macrocosm to my current microcosm.

On to other stuff…

My boss at the day job gave me a cd today. It's pretty damn fantastic. For those of you that like smoky, torchy jazz, you will really dig this album.

Madeline Peyroux - Careless Love

Anyway tomorrow is a full day, and I need some sleep. For those of you that foolishly want see me live, you should go to Yuk Yuks this Wednesday. The show starts at 8pm sharp.

End of Transmission…

No comments: