Sunday, November 28, 2004

11/28/04 Uncle Walt Goes to Walmart...

Last night was great! I had two really strong shows. Big laughs and applause breaks. It was great. I felt good on stage, I felt well prepared. David Crowe was pretty good, but not as good as he was the last time I saw him. He seemed restrained. It was like he was holding back.

Dana Alexander had a great first show, but they were less kind to her in the second. It was a very strong performance, but the crowd was not as excited about her. I'm not sure why. I thought it was great.

Brett and Peter are coming home this week. I'm excited. I really miss my friends. I'm glad that their globetrotting has been a good teacher to them, but life here seems stale without them.
(At least in the comedy world...)

There's been a strange kind of feeling in the air here lately. It's almost electric. It's as if something's about to happen. I'm not sure what it could be, but it feels like something huge. With my luck, it will be an earthquake, but I'll nap through the whole damn thing.

My parents will be here in about two weeks. That's really cool. I haven't spent Christmas with them since 1998. This Christmas will rock for sure.

Speaking of Christmas. Erin and I went to a thing at the Altadore Baptist church. It was a lecture about ethical spending. It was quite good. The guest speaker (who's name escapes me...) was a little nervous, but I thought she did a good job of putting a human face on the topic. Her approach was to offer some information, and let you make up your own mind about it. I liked that. I wish I could do that. Mind you, I have a lot more fun flying off the handle about things. It's as much of a release of frustration as it is social awareness for me.

I think it makes a lot of sense to find out just exactly whom you are giving your money to. Companies like Wal-Mart, Disney, and others do some really rotten things to people in developing countries, and in some cases are just as rotten to people here in North America.

Wal-Mart is the largest retailer on the planet, and they have more lawsuits against them than any other corporation in North America. They employ unfair labour practices, and shamelessly circumvent labour laws. I will no longer give them anymore of my money. The same thing goes for the House of Mouse. I'm willing to bet that Walt Disney is spinning in his grave so fast you could use him as a fan.

Taking advantage of the poor is a hateful crime. People in sweatshops get the shaft. Working for pennies an hour, getting beaten for washroom breaks, and being systematically kept poor, so they can't do anything else ever! The sad part is that these companies do it so we as consumers can keep up with the Jones', not to mention, so they can reap insane profits.

I saw the news footage of Black Friday. (The biggest shopping day in America.) There were People lining up a 5:30 in the morning to shop. TO SHOP. That's fucked up!!! Boxing day here will be the same for sure.

We can have all the things we want, and still make a difference in the lives of these people. We need to tell companies that they need to play fair to get our hard earned bucks. Don't get me wrong, I like stuff. Shiny stuff, gizmo stuff, heck... stuff in general, but I realize that ethics are just as important. I'm willing to take the time to be a little more discerning about where things come from, how they were made and by whom.

If we take the time to pressure companies, we can force them to change. I'm not against profit. Quite to opposite in fact. I like money, it's a useful tool, and having it sure makes life easier, but getting it through exploitation is a whole other matter. There is no need for it. Not now, not ever!!!

End of Transmission


No comments: