Monday, June 13, 2005

06/12/05 Kelowna

Well, I’m back from Kelowna. Overall I would have to say that it was a pretty successful trip. The Thursday show had sold out (They actually had to turn people away…) and by all accounts it went very well. The audience was very attentive, and clearly interested in the show. That was a really nice change from the last couple of times that I’ve played in BC.

The venue has gone through a pretty impressive makeover since the last time I was there. It’s a much nicer place now. (Kind of trendy even… well, almost…) The staff have all turned over since then too. The new people are all very nice. Jennifer, the woman who worked the door was really great. She was the poor victim who got to introduce me to the audience, and she was very nervous about it. (She even said my last name right… on all three shows even…) She did a great job.

My opinion about Kelowna has changed. I really enjoyed this trip.

After the show, I got a chance to see some of the local colour. Kelowna for all its resort beauty has a seedy underbelly. It has an interesting dichotomy comprised of family vacations and greasy bikers.

The Friday show went in a total opposite direction. There were a whopping 12 people at the show. I spent 30 minutes spritzing and chipping away sizable chunks of my self-esteem. (Bigger chunks than I perhaps would have liked.) It felt like an eternity on that stage. But I guess it still beats going on a house boating trip with 59 of my closest friends.

On Saturday things got back to normal. The venue had showed the Tyson fight, and a lot of people stuck around after to see our show. It was a much better attended show than Friday. Truthfully I thought it wound up being the best of all the shows.


1 comment:

Daryl Makk said...

I would just like to be the first to post here that Paul Martin is a lieing scum bag that should be tried for treason along with Chretien the ass who set up adscam.
fuckers...both of them.
I know it has nothing to do with this post but at least I got to say it!
:-)