Monday, June 27, 2005

06/26/05

It’s been a good weekend. I went to see the final performance of Erin’s play on Saturday night. It was really quite good. I’m very proud of her. She seems to have found her stride again in the theatre world. To be fair, she needed to surround herself with the right people. I think she’s done that. It strikes me that the group she’s working with has the same goals and sense of how things should work. It will be neat to see what they do together in the future.

I managed to get some tickets to go and see the Foo Fighters. I’m really excited about that. I suspect that will wind up being one really kick ass show. The band’s leader, Dave Grohl has become a sort of hero to me. Through his efforts and creativity, there is a little hope for real rock and roll after all. He puts the bombast back into music. It’s nice to see someone trying to craft something a little more real. A little message to Nickleback… If you listen to the Foo Fighters, you will know why you are truly awful. Nuff said.

I went to see Batman Begins tonight. I loved it. It was everything a superhero movie should be. My only complaint is that Tom Cruise’s fiancé sucked. Her character was really very flimsy. The introduction of Ra's Al Ghul was really cool. He is one of my most favorite villains. I first read about him in the Jim Aparo days of Detective. Most cool indeed.

It’s nice to report good things. It’s a pleasant change…

I have an idea. I want to write a one-man show. Something that’s different than stand up. I want to try my hand at story telling. Telling people a story about who I am. I’m going to treat it like an experiment. It should be interesting to see where it goes.

I have felt for a little while that there is more than just stand up. Don’t get me wrong here, stand up is my first true love, but I think this will be good for me. I imagine that it could only help stand up in the future. Maybe by doing this, I’ll be able to reach a new level. Stepping away from the comfort of laughter, while scary, has a certain appeal to me.

There is a line that the emperor says in the new Star Wars. The gist is about living a life of greater consequence. Living a life that’s more meaningful, having a life with significance. I think there is a little wisdom in that. I don’t want to exclude things, or dismiss them, but rather employ differing skills to create a better me. It’s not fame or glory I’m after, just the ability to be the best me I can be.

Anyway, It’s just a thought right now, but who knows… there could be something there.

End of Transmission.

No comments: