Wednesday, March 23, 2005

03/24/05 I think we should bring back the guillotine...

I'm tired of having spokespeople tell me how I should live my life. I don't need anyone to tell me what kind of toothpaste I want, or what soda I should drink. It strikes me that if Jesus Christ came back tomorrow morning, by noon, some shit bag ad exec would be all over him to sign with Budweiser or eBay, or some other organization willing to smear their corporate manure anywhere and everywhere. Imagine…

Jesus: God loves you. Drink Bud…

Announcer: The Prince of Peace loves The King of Beers…

Or perhaps…

Woman: Hey Jesus, I just can't get my teeth white… What should I do?

Jesus: Try new Crest Winterfresh… It's guaranteed to whiten your teeth in just 14 days.

Woman: Thanks Jesus, You saved me… from a life of yellow teeth I mean… Not that I…err… you know…. Praise Jesus!!!

Jesus: Testify sister (Smiles, showing his gleaming white teeth…)

Everywhere we go we are faced with more and more advertising. Is not left sacred?
Before a movie now, there are a good 15 minutes of shitty ads, and that's before the trailers. The gate price, and the price of concessions isn't enough… Nope they need to subject us to forced marketing. If I have to sit through it, they should be letting me in for free. Once I asked to see the manager of the cinema about it. He just smirked at me. I felt like punching him in his big fat nose. I hate being taken for a ride.

I didn't spend my hard earned money on a ticket so I could sit in the dark, and be bombarded. It makes me feel like I'm in A Clockwork Orange. The only thing missing are the clips to keep my eyelids open. Now I understand why that movie is so very violent.

If there is a just and merciful God, please let there be no more Brittney Spears commercials ever again. End the P Diddy ads, nix Jennifer Lopez, and set those home restoration people in Atlanta on fire. And while we're at it, could you stop Fox from calling themselves “Fair and Balanced” (Well… it's a lie… a big one… and they advertise it 24 hours a day…)

There has got to be a time when enough is enough. Just once I'd like to go to an event that has no advertising. No radio stations, no beer companies, just good entertainment. Sponsorship may have its place. Just not anywhere near me.

I might be a little more receptive if people asked me if I'd be willing to review their materials. Not once has this ever happened. I feel violated by marketing.

No comments: