Saturday, October 16, 2004

10/16/04 If I had a rocket launcher...

I spent the day in the mall today. Erin went to get her hair cut, and I got to hook up with my little sister for a while. That was cool. I really like her. She's really quite funny.

We strolled around the mall, and window shopped mostly. I bought a few things, like a new mouse, a game for the xbox, and an identical pair of sneakers to the ones I was wearing, They were shit beaten, I had worn through the tread. Airwalks, circa 1986. My favorite sneakers ever. I'm so glad that they decided to make them again. I guess "Old School" is cool again. I just never really felt that I left it.

I did a couple of shows on Friday night. The first one went swimmingly, I must say. Big laughs, nice applause breaks, and some of the new jokes really started to take some shape. They were a great audience, attentive, and seemed to really enjoy themselves.

The second one started well, but became a train wreck later on. There was some good laughter, but they were young, and drunk. Some jokes, (esp one that normally destroys...) fell really flat. I got kinda cranky, and discovered I have a new way to deal with hecklers. I told them to suck my cock. Not exactly what you'd call genius on my part. Fuck them, I hate rowdy crowds. I hate hecklers even more, especially the drunk and mentally vacant ones. I mentioned that I was originally from Newfoundland, and this idiot started yelling out "UIC... UIC... UIC..." That just pushed my mood over the edge. I wanted to punch that ignorant motherfucker in the throat.

Thursday night was cool. My friend Emmo was in town, so we went for a few pints at the Ship and Anchor. It was kinda like old times. Hoisting a few jars of Alexander Keiths, and generally being up to no good. That used to be one of our main haunts. I've been going to that pub on and off for 12 years. How many things can you say you've done for that long? How many can I?

I used to know tons of people that hung out there. Happily, now I know no one that hangs out there. I like that. I have become more inwardly focused over the past few years. I discovered that I generally prefer my own company. Of course There are a handful of exceptions, my wife and family, and the small circle of friends that I have managed to keep over the course of the last decade or so.

It's hard to explain, but generally I find the noise, and the drama that people make, drives me crazy. it's like mental clutter. I have never really cared for personal politics, and I make haste in avoiding them. People get caught up into too many little "traps." I think that life is complicated enough without the need to walk into some sort of social bear trap, or to be handed some sort of public "Boris and Natasha" black bomb thingy. I like the quiet of my own head space.

End of Transmission



No comments: