Thursday, September 23, 2004

09/24/04 Feeling hale and hearty...

Lately, I feel like my rudder has been hauled out of the water. My job is okay, my Career is okay,and my marriage is great. Yet I feel restless. I feel like I'm on the hunt for something more. This blog seems to take a lot of my free time, and It helps to fill a void. I guess in a way, it's helping me to feel like the things I need to say, have a place in the world. Like I'm standing up to be counted.

The media constantly tells us we live in dangerous times. I agree, but not for the same reasons they bandy about. I'm not afraid of the boogey man, no matter what name he's called by these days. I don't look behind me at night, I refuse to nest because someone tells me to, and I Speak my mind freely.

I'm afraid of foolhardy governance. I'm afraid of People making decision that are supposed to be in my best interest. I'm afraid of people I didn't vote for deciding my fate as a citizen. (The G8 and WTO are excellent examples.)

I find it hard to sleep at night. I always have. I worry. Oddly, not about my own personal problems, but of the things that truly frighten me. Things I have no control over. I used to vote defensively. I will no longer do so. I'm tired, of feeling that the lesser of two evils will suffice. It will not!

I will object and be heard. I will stand and be counted. I encourage everyone who has ever felt the way I do, to take a stance and to not be afraid. The government takes services away from us and we do nothing. They cut education budgets and we do nothing. They cut healthcare and yet again we do nothing.

Then like a school boy with a shabby report card, they have the nerve to tell us there's a surplus. Without services, it's easy to have a surplus. If you have no overhead, It's easier to save money.

They told us it's because of debt that we had to tighten our belts. Artificial Debt. Acrued by very same people (literally) and no one saw fit to throw them out of office. Government is supposed to be of the people, by the people and for the people, and yet it fails in it's principle mandate with embarrassing regularity.

Regardless of Government chicanery, we as citizens are the ones to blame. Voter apathy is a record heights. (Which is exactly what these people want!)
The attitude that "My vote doesn't count." Doesn't wash with me. Because your vote does count.

Once day in the former East Germany, someone woke up and said "I've had enough of that fucking wall..." So he called a friend, and then another and another, until enough people stood up and said "NO"

That was in a country that restricted freedom. This isn't

Let's get our shit together.

End of transmission.

No comments: